Research: Find ten instructional websites that offer a variety of opportunities for learners. Link to each website considered in your blog.
Answer: Which sites exemplify sound design ideals? Why? Which sites do not adhere to the design elements discussed in this lesson? Why?
1. GA Virtual Learning – easy to find what you’re searching for; layout is simple; easy to navigate
2. CK-12 – simple design, easy to find features, relevant pictures and information
3. Mountain Heights Academy – simple, modern, clean design; very easy to find what you’re looking for
4. Shmoop – although there are ads, they don’t really detract from the content; easy to locate content, search for help
5. ReadWriteThink – very easy to navigate, clear resources, simple design
6. Cool Math Games – black background makes it hard to focus; ads on site; bright colors are distracting
7. Sparknotes – too many distractors such as ads, social media content, and pop culture content
8. Toporopa – objective of site may not be clear to students, little explanation or navigation provided
9. Learn Your Tables – design is unconventional and makes it difficult to concentrate, hard to tell where to start, where to go next, etc.
10. Number Gossip – interesting concept, may not work as an open resource but could work if used purposefully for a lesson
Artifact: Provide a screenshot of 2 websites considered to offer a compare and contrast of design elements.
Mountain Heights Academy & Cool Math Games